The verdict is out! After 4 weeks of wear, I can legitimately stand by my initial claim that Clip-Ins are a better protective style than crochet braids. I’ll break down the pros and cons of the entire experience to explain why:
Super low key and positive experience:
- No pain
- Regular amount of prep time
- Process took ~4 hours
After Jummy installed, I cut the front into bangs. This desired look only lasted for a week though 🙁
- After week two, I had to pin back the bangs because they began to fray.
- On the plus side, as time went by the curls got bigger and more dramatic
Night time Routine:
It was pretty difficult finding a way to protect the curls while sleeping, especially since I didn’t want to comb out the curls. I typically pinned it back and tied with a satin scarf and bonnet.
It took me an hour and a half to remove the hair and undo the braids underneath. I remember this exactly because I had two hours to do this and wash my hair before class that day! It’s easy enough once you get the hang of it. The process involves:
- Cutting each strand/sections down close to the knot
- Either undoing each knot one at a time or
- Undoing the knots as you unravel the cornrows underneath
It may sound a bit confusing, but I’ll post a short vid soon.
While the style looked good and appeased my love for big hair, I don’t think I will do crochet braids again for a while. It looked good for the most part, but didn’t feel good.
- Big Hair which only got bigger
- Protective Style with no leave out (allowed me to give my hair a break)
- Little access to moisturize my own hair
- Cornrows get itchy!
- My edges were screaming for the first week and a half (tight braids)
- Synthetic hair is difficult to tangle
To me, a protective style is first and foremost meant to protect my hair and leave it as healthy as possible. Style and look are secondary. This style left me a bit worried about the health of my hair, which is part of the reason why I took it out after four weeks. I’m gonna give my scalp a break, so for the next couple of months Ill be wearing my new kinky 4b/4c clip ins from Faux Fro!